Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Body Beast - Block 1: Build

The first 3 weeks of Body Beast is called the Build Series.  You are basically laying the foundation for muscle growth.  This is what my schedule looks like:

Week One:
  • Day 1: BUILD: Chest/Tris
  • Day 2: BUILD: Legs
  • Day 3: BUILD: Back/Bis
  • Day 4: BUILD: Shoulders
  • Day 5: BEAST: Cardio and BEAST: Abs
  • Day 6: BUILD: Chest/Tris
  • Day 7: Rest
Week Two:
  • Day 1: BUILD: Legs
  • Day 2: BUILD: Back/Bis
  • Day 3: BEAST: Cardio and BEAST: Abs
  • Day 4: BUILD: Shoulders
  • Day 5: BUILD: Chest/Tris
  • Day 6: BUILD: Legs
  • Day 7: Rest
Week Three:
  • Day 1: BUILD: Back/Bis
  • Day 2: BEAST: Cardio and BEAST: Abs
  • Day 3: BUILD: Shoulders
  • Day 4: BUILD: Chest/Tris
  • Day 5: BUILD: Legs
  • Day 6: BUILD: Back/Bis
  • Day 7: Rest
I changed the schedule just a little bit, so my rest days would always be on Sunday.

Download the Block 1 Worksheets HERE.

Okay, so for the first 3 weeks, I did not add any extra cardio in, besides what was scheduled in the "Lean Beast" program.  I am concentrating on building my muscle foundation first.

It's been awhile since I've lifted weights, and it's sad how low I have to go on my weights compared to the beasty men in the videos! haha 

However, I am still lifting as heavy as I can, and that's what is important. :)
(In case you are wondering, I started out using 5-12lbs on upper body, and 8-20lbs on lower body.)
I am increasing my weights on most exercises every week though, so I'm excited to see where I am after 90 days! I am telling you this, so you know that you don't have to be lifting super-heavy or even be an experienced weight-lifter to do this program - it's for EVERYONE!

Also, lifting heavy won't make you bulk up - I am NOT going to look like the guys in the videos!! Lifting weights will make women smaller and tighter.  I don't want to just be a skinnier version of myself, I want shape, and the only way to do that is to LIFT WEIGHTS.
 
My thoughts so far:  I am LOVING this workout program!  The workouts are short, and I find I am looking forward to doing them every day.  I also kind of like not having to do cardio right now.  I was super sore the first week.  I would laugh at myself as I hobbled around, because I like that sore feeling - it lets me know my body is changing. :)
 
I actually started my challenge after the first week of doing Body Beast, so since I have only really been eating clean for 2 weeks, I am going to wait for 2 more weeks before I do my 'official' measurements.  I have only lost about 2 lbs so far, but I'm not too worried because I am adding muscle.  (I am trying to stay off the scale, too.) haha :)
 
In the next post, I will go over the nutrition part of this challenge.

No comments: