Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Healthy Mexican Bowl with Cauliflower Rice

I have been working a little harder on my nutrition this month, and have been trying out some new recipes. Maybe you don't know this, but I am a HUGE Mexican Food lover!! I love the flavors, I love the spiciness, I could seriously eat it for every meal and never get sick of it.

So here is a recipe that is not new at all, in fact it's one of those old staples, BUT instead of regular rice it has CAULIFLOWER RICE in it. So it's pretty low carb. And if you take out the black beans, it would even be paleo friendly. ;)

 Fix approved: 1 red, 1/2 yellow, 1 blue, 1 green, 2 tsp

Ingredients:
4 oz chicken breast, cooked & shredded
1/4 cup black beans
1/2 avocado, chopped
1/2 cup cauliflower rice (see below)
tomatoes
lime juice
salsa (optional)

Combine all ingredients, add squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
small head of cauliflower, coarsely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 TBS butter or coconut oil
salt, pepper, garlic powder, seasoning salt, and/or vegetable supreme (This is a personal choice, the seasoning is really up to you.)

Put coarsely chopped cauliflower in a food processor, and pulse until about the size of rice.

Saute onions in butter or coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat until translucent.
Add the riced cauliflower and stir until mixed well.
Add seasonings of your choice. (I used pepper, garlic powder, season salt, a little vegetable supreme and some chili powder.)
Cover skillet and let the rice cook about 5 minutes until softened. (Then I let mine cook a little longer so it was more "browned" - a little like fried rice.)

*Note: I will be honest -YES, this DOES taste like cooked cauliflower! However, when you add it with all the other ingredients in the Mexican Bowl, you seriously CANNOT taste it. I was really nervous to try this, because I had tasted the "rice" and it was a little different than what I was used to - not gonna lie. ;) But it ended up being really good, plus - bonus veggies!! haha

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Tried this the other night and I loved it! My question is where does the 1/2 yellow come from? Isn't the cauliflower rice considered a veggie not a carb?

Beth said...

Kristine - Yay! I'm glad you liked it. The 1/2 yellow comes from the 1/4 cup black beans that I added in it. :)