Friday, August 2, 2013

Fuel Your Body Friday - Veggie Chicken Pitas

 
These Veggie Chicken Pitas were sooo good!  My picky-eater even asked for seconds. :)  It is an easy dish to throw together at the last minute & great for eating clean.  I could have easily eaten this plain, or even with a little brown rice.  YUM!

Ingredients:
1/2 - 1 red onion, sliced
1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
1 cup julienned carrots
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 TBS olive oil
1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
1 jar roasted red pepper, drained & chopped (I left this out & it was still delicious)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup shredded cheese (I used a mexican blend)

Directions:
Cook chicken ahead of time & shred.  Chop all ingredients. 

Saute onions, carrots, broccoli, and garlic in oil for a few minutes until tender.

Stir in cooked chicken, peppers, broth and spices.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat & simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes or until heated through.

Once heated, mix in cheese and stir until evenly coated.  Spoon into pitas - enjoy!

*Note:  Next time I would double this recipe.  It barely fed my husband, myself and our 3 (pretty big) boys.

No comments: