Eating a properly constructed meal every few hours is also the only way to effectively build and maintain muscle. The longer you consistently eat this way, the more muscle you'll develop. The more muscle you develop, the faster your metabolism will become.
1) It takes the body about 3 hours to digest each meal.
2) Protein lasts about 3 hours in the bloodstream.
3) Frequent eating speeds up the metabolism.
4) Eating more often stabilizes blood sugar.
5) Frequent meals prevent binges and control cravings.
6) Promotes better utilization of nutrients.
7) Reduces fat storage through portion control. (The body can't handle mega-sized meals and will store the remaining calories as fat.)